Sew La Ti Embroidery + TIME

There are things I miss working in a costume archive...

White color

Surprisingly, I miss the smell of mothballs and rotting, moldy fabric. I miss how cold and dark it would be on a hot, summer day. But what I miss the most is the amazing surprise each box would be as uncovered some amazing suit made in Paris or a box just overflowing with heirloom styled petticoats. Do you know how much restraint it took me not to try anything on? lol! Yes, big no-no indeed!

The San Fransisco Museum is having a exhibition on the great couturier Balenciaga. Now, I honestly only knew of this designer in high school from the infamous Balenciaga motorcycle bag that all my friends covereted. Now everyone has a copy hanging from their arm. It wasn't until my great discovery of couture that I realized how beautiful his work was.

Back from spring break and now overwhelmed with work...

I have three major papers to write this week and not much on the sewing front has been completed. I've been knitting a bit, a row here and there. Sometimes I get quite a lot done in a sitting, but then sometimes I maybe knit just a row before my hands get tired. Though, over break I was super excited to finish up my first ball and move onto the second.

Happy Memorial Day

Last night my father invited me to a BBQ up in the mountains. I got my kitchen supplies and drove as fast as I could. There is something about the mountains, the air is crisper and the colors are more vibrant. I made my spicy barbecue bean burgers and an anti-pasta salad. We had the traditional corn on the cob, which we left on the grill too long and blackened on the bottom. I took some shots of the farm valley between my father's home and my mothers on the drive back, I just missed the sunset but it still is just as beautiful at twilight. Soon, around July and August, the fields will be lite with fireflies and I promise when it happens I'll take plenty of pictures.

So, everything is unpacked and I'm back to work...

I can officially call it summer. However, most of my peers won't call it summer until Memorial Day. What a perfect time to start on some cotton, floral frocks! I just finished Simplicity's 2250 by Cynthia Rowley. I did a few adjustments, such as doing a muslin lining, omitting the tie, and elastic in the ruffles. All the fabric manipulation in the top isn't visible in the white cotton. I do think it would show better in a dark color where you can see the contrast if you're focused on that detail. It's intermediate, at best. The top takes a bit of finesse doing all those tucks. It resembles a bit of a puzzle piece, it took a bit of marking and basting. But, if you have patience and can follow directions it might be the best challenge to a experienced beginner.

The back ruffles are a great detail...

You might be able to tell that I only attached the zipper to the underlining. It's something we do at work all the time when there is a light overlay like organza or chiffon. It keeps it nice and light, doesn't add bulk, and makes the zipper sit well when you're using a lining.

VIA There are things I miss working in a costume archive...

best, costume, design, fabric, happy, kitchen, Memorial Day, Summer, surprise, and more:

There are things I miss working in a costume archive... + TIME