Sew La Ti Embroidery + TIME

No Makeup Week! (I mean, they like me with makeup, too. Oh, you know what I mean...)

No Makeup Week: Mint Julep Mask

No Makeup Week: Mint Julep Mask

Hey everyone! This is just a quick post to let you know what I have planned for this upcoming week. I'm going to be going away from Thursday until Saturday with my boyfriend and his family so I won't be posting those days. Because of this, I hope to be able to post a few times in the next few days!

In high school, like many teenagers going through puberty, I was ashamed of my skin. One day it would be oily, the next day it would be dry - and there was always acne to deal with! Over the years I've tried many products and skincare routines, with varying success. In high school I desperately tried to cover up my natural skin with layers of makeup. Liquids, powders, blushes - I used everything I could!

While I love what makeup can do to enhance an appearance, in the past two years I've realized that I love my natural beauty, too. I think going to college made me feel a lot more comfortable about going out without "putting my face on," because I was surrounded by the same people at all hours of the day. These kids have seen me when I wake up in the morning, when I'm in class, and before I go to sleep. They have seen me when I'm sick, when I'm just getting back from the gym, and even when I've gotten caught in a downpour running back from the library.

And They Like Me — Without Makeup!

What I'm trying to say is: I've gained a lot of confidence in myself in the past two years, and I don't feel the need to try to cover up anything with makeup. Yes, I love getting dolled up when I'm going to a party or going out on a date with my boyfriend, but other than that, I try to wear as little makeup as possible. Most days now I will only wear a brush of Physicians Formula pressed powder, a sweep of clear mascara on my lashes, and lots of lip balm.

Which brings me to this week. I've decided that, starting today, I want to go a whole week without wearing any makeup. No powder, no mascara (colored or clear). The only things I'll allow on my face are cleansers, moisturizer, and sunscreen. I don't think this will be too difficult to do, especially considering that I will be on an island in the Adirondacks from Thursday through Saturday. I think it will be an interesting experiment, to concentrate on my skin and really learn to appreciate it as it is.

A Week Without Makeup?

Last year Rachel Rabbit White, a popular blogger and writer, pledged to not wear makeup for an entire week. Over 300 people took the challenge with her. You can read about that experience in this Huffington Post interview here. White brings up a lot of very interesting points about makeup in society today, so it's definitely a must-read.

I'll be posting photos this week, along with any findings or discoveries. Any of you brave enough to try this, too? I'd love to hear your stories or share links on my blog to your own posts! Drop me a comment or send me an email!

VIA No Makeup Week! (I mean, they like me with makeup, too. Oh, you know what I mean...)

beauty, challenge, eco lips, giveaway, hope, makeup, pledge, society, and more:

No Makeup Week! (I mean, they like me with makeup, too. Oh, you know what I mean...) + TIME